Sunday 16 February 2014

Lost and Found


How is it that when it comes to writing, I sit brimming with words and yet empty? How is it possible that when I have a new idea that I want to jot down, I am bouncing off my chair in enthusiasm, yet holding my pencil over the paper in sheer apathy? Why is it that when I have finally written something, I feel victorious yet lost? Why is writing, when I think about it, so pleasurable yet so intimidating and uninviting? Why am I afraid of failure, even though I have not even tried? Why am I scared of what the reader will think when he is not seeing it from my point of view? Why is it irritating, nevertheless pleasing when someone comments on my work? Why is it good yet bad when someone asks me to edit it? Why may I ask, when writing should be easy, it becomes arduous?
You know how they say it right, that anyone can write but not everyone can be a writer. So this questions my grounds, and shakes me, making me all obscured and conscious- am I just writing because I have time to, or am I a writer? You see, every person goes through this initial phase of anxiety and insecurities, of feeling lost and bubbling with questions. There is this point in time where we are so bundled up, so astray that that we are nowhere to be found, that our work is as devastated and vulnerable as our emotions. And it is not just a writer, but everyone that has an imaginative psyche, for example, a painter, or a lyricist or a composer, or maybe an inventor gazing at the sheets of his research work. The field where mind has to create something out of its fascination, where you are daring to make that dream come true through your project, is the line of work where you have to struggle and fight with yourself. I personally have a strong belief that more than people outside who criticize me, it’s my own inner sentiments that put a leash around my neck. For example this novel (The Third World: CONSPIRACY) that I have been writing from the time I was in 10th grade, is still a draft of incomplete five chapters and is locked untouched in the files of my laptop, and I always find an excuse to dump it rather than working on it. When you are lost in the labyrinth of your own uncertainties, which is the biggest block on your augmentation, you need to come out of it as early as possible. Feeling lost is nothing alien, but not finding your way back is almost lethal.
Sylvia Plath, a famous American poet said, “The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” So well, here it is- question and answer, lost and found. Self doubt is as torturous as standing on a Lego and unable to step down. When something you love should be so personal and precious to you, why does it become a suffering, a frustrating and painful cause? It happens with me, when I would just look at the rough drafts of my articles or story and I feel that it should be erased, both from the computer logs and my mind. However, it is equally painful and I just cannot bring myself to click ‘yes’ when the screen prompts the permission to delete it, and somehow I also believe that this is how it is with every person who makes an effort to give their piece of mind. I can imagine people loathing and whining and trying to fix this, because it is almost a nightmare to not let out that thing you so lovingly carry with you. It just keeps on building inside you, even though you are constantly trying to brush it off, until it is heartrending and you cannot carry it any further. That is the time in your life that you are in crisis that letting it go or letting it out would mean either death or salvation to you. So what do you chose now, now that you know?
You see, you will always be lost in the thing you love. You will find yourself there too.

-a

No comments:

Post a Comment