Monday 10 February 2014

Taking Risks

Risks take us a step ahead and spurts our growth, on the other hand, precautions only block our way (not that I am asking you to be all weird and crazy). If I talk about myself, the only few risks that I have taken are:
●drinking coke with mint candy in my mouth (yes I tried, and no nothing exploded)
●flunked my classes
●sucked in my gut and asked a guy to be my date headfirst (he freaked out and turned me down anyways)....and pretty much other random stuff. But the most herculean risk that I have ever taken is trusting people- accepting them for no specific reason. 
My parents have been like these two suspicious twins, always saying, "This is not how it should be, stop blindly trusting people." Or, "That person is only trying to get his work done, not yours."...and so on. (But since when have my age listened?) I have lived on the edge of insane madness; I have trusted people I did not know, helped them because they smiled at me, and got help when I asked. (Like borrowing their chair in the restaurant, or asking them buy me a happy meal)
But being an Indian and surrounded by narrow minds and perceptions, asking was always misunderstood to be selling my soul. In my father's words, "Asking is a higher form of begging, even if you are asking from God." It actually got me thinking, and I thought a lot, and what I personally believe (and not impose) is that how will someone know what you want unless you put you risk putting your trust in them and ask?It is a risk, I know, to trust, and so is there a greater risk to not do the that and shut yourself in a self designed protective shell-cum-asylum. Yes, it is. Here's a set of Q&As I came up with:
1. Why am I not risking?
-Because I am afraid. 
2. What am I afraid of?
-Asking.
3. Why am I afraid of it?
-Because I do not trust. 
4. And why do I not trust?
-Because like it happened last time (...I was cheated/robbed/mistreated/hurt/used/back-stabbed/and other such reasons that I cannot seem to let go.)
5. Is it ok?
-Absolutely not! It is not and it won't be unless I let go and start new (Learn, unlearn, relearn...remember?)
Let go!
I had internal conflicts and faced my insecurities while writing this, and I have censored a lot of things that I do not think will be appropriate if I let it out. Honestly, risk and trust are two things that are like a package deal, you have to accept them both because you have no choice. This idea can be odious to you, and maybe also too much to accept, but that's how it is for everyone in the beginning, even for the saints...but try, to let that shame that's holding you back go; realise it and do not accept it if it comes back because it only rots your ability to take risks, and to trust...try to free yourself from your own barriers and chains, and move ahead, and maybe do that hand stand that you always wanted to do, or write a letter to the President, or go on a jog and reduce the extra weight you have been crying over for almost a year now.
Take that risk. Move out of your comfort zone. Trust yourself and people around you. Risk a chance, not because it is right, but because it actually makes the probability one against zero. Trust, not because you think that is right, but because it levitates you too and frees you from the suspicion that has been grimly sticking to you for all these years.
Please, save yourself from all the lethal monotonous schedule. Risk, trust, and Live!

No comments:

Post a Comment